White Flint District Roadway Improvements, North Bethesda-Garrett Park, MD
As a MBE Subconsultant to a major transportation firm, BvF was responsible for the development of multiple preliminary construction schedules based on 35% complete plans for the White Flint Roadway Improvements project. The White Flint Sector Plan aims to:
- Create thriving, diverse mixed use center with highest intensity closest to Metro and along Rockville Pike
- Create new parks and open spaces
- Transform Rockville Pike into a boulevard with street trees and improved crosswalks
- Develop a transportation network that includes a grid of new public streets
- Improve the pedestrian and bicycling environment
- Promote sustainable development
This project is divided in two parts: White Flint West Transportation and White Flint East Transportation. White Flint West Transportation project involves initial land acquisition for one new road, one relocated road, improvements to three existing roads, and one intersection reconfiguration. White Flint East Transportation project involves three new roads and one bridge. Once preliminary engineering is complete, multiple construction contracts will be developed. The proposed improvements include Main Street / Market Street, Main Street Bikeway, Executive Boulevard Extension, Old Georgetown Road, Hoya Street, Nebel Street Extension, and bridge across White Flint Metro Station.
BvF was also responsible for the incorporation of innovative and accelerated project development and construction techniques to enhance opportunity for completing the construction on-time, on-budget, and with minimum disruption to the public and to surrounding businesses.